MT5 - when to switch to new version ?

garyfritz

Re: MT5 - when to switch to new version ?

Post by garyfritz »

Before moving to a totally different platform (new scripts, new language, etc) still under the control of the Metaquotes bozos, I would SERIOUSLY consider choosing a different platform.
hopfi2k
Trader

Post by hopfi2k »

Although not being asked, nevertheless: Dukascopy and JForex (or VisualJForex).

Lightyears better than all Empty4/MT5 will ever be.

Cheers,
Andy
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

JFx or VJFx might be good, but they don't offer much of a choice of broker. And it doesn't work for US citizens.

I don't have a recommendation. But before I blindly followed Metaquotes into whatever new mess they create, I'd want to carefully consider other options.
hopfi2k
Trader

Post by hopfi2k »

VisualJForex is massive!
I played with it the last two or three days and its really worth taking a look...http://www.dukascopy.com/swiss/english/ ... features/#

Btw. Dukascopy as "broker" can't be compared to the usual Empty4/5 crims. Why? Simple answer: they are serious!

Cheers,
Andy
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

zalezny wrote:Hi All,

at the moment most of us using Meta Trader 4, but since 2009 Meta Trader 5 is available.

When to switch to new release MT5 ? Do You know for how long Empty4 will be supported and provided by FX brokers ? Next 2 years ? Longer ... ?

It seems that MQ5 is not compatible with MQ4 and we need to rewrite all scripts to new language. Is it true ? Is it good step or stupid decision of the Vendor ?

Greetings from Poland

Zalezny
Crapperquotes and the crims are mostly in cahoots. Any forced move to CrapT5 will be to the benefit of the criminals and their in-pocket coders at Crapperquotes, so resist it.

I assume that GP will resist any such move and continue to offer Empty4 so that all our EA's and indis will continue to work for us for the forseeable future.

Those dimwits at Crapperquotes could not even begin to get Empty4 working properly. Don't even consider allowing them to foist an entirely new platform upon us. It is up to all of us to say to our brokers, "Nope, pal. If you change to CrapT5 you will lose my account" and move to a broker still offering Empty4. Traders outside the US, migrate to Global Prime; you will not look back, I promise.

In 20 years time, users of a common, intelligently-programmed platform will be intoning, "Those guys had to deal with what?" in aghast amazement at what we have to put up with. Mind, by then the current lot of crims will long have gone out of business or adapted their business models in recognition that they are rumbled and either adapted or gone bust.

A trader-friendly platform will emerge eventually that the new breed of brokers (such as GP) will buy into and we will all benefit from this. Oh boy, but I love the idea of learning the programming language and adapting MPTM to it. :idea: Hey ho. It will come and I will have to do it. At least here, I have the companionship of fantastic programmers who will help - much much more than I had when I first coded it.

:D
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

garyfritz wrote:Before moving to a totally different platform (new scripts, new language, etc) still under the control of the Metaquotes bozos, I would SERIOUSLY consider choosing a different platform.
Me too. Granted, I would need help choosing said platform, but I would not want to learn to program for CrapT5 given how bad Empty4 is and suspecting that CrapT6 is already under development.

I would prefer to invest my time in learning a proper programming language that can be applied across any half-way intelligently programmed platform.

That can still run under CrapWindowsx. Using components that are not disabled by Crapdowsx+1. Oh crap. We are screwed whichever way we turn.

Tell you what guys. Donate me $10,000,000 and I will pay the Proper Coders here a small fortune to develop what we need. Regard it as an investment.

:D
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
jcl
Trader

Post by jcl »

I would gladly take that $10,000,000 :).

I tested MT5 in 2012. If it really came out 2009, this would be 3 years after release.

I had my experiences with bad software, but I had rarely worked with such a buggy piece of software before. Instead of listing the bugs it would have made more sense to produce a short list of the software functions that really worked. Strange that a software is in this state 3 years after release.

On the positive side, MT5 solves one of the major problems of Empty4, its incredibly slow interpreted script language that makes proper optimizing and backtesting impossible. The MQL5 language is still slow, but much faster than MQL4.
jcl
Trader

Post by jcl »

bodleytunes
Trader

Post by bodleytunes »

I say Dukascopy and Jforex / VJForex is the best. I've been learning Java so I can dabble with it. Its Uber powerful.

Just a shame the Americans can't use Dukascopy for some reason? Be good if the Jforex was Broker "Agnostic", but I suppose that's how they make their money, by having such a good interface.

Cheers!

Bod.
renexxxx
Trader

Post by renexxxx »

zalezny wrote:I hope that one day, this community will be strong enought to build Open Source Trading platform with perfect API for automatic trading :)
Even if we were to build our own Open Source Trading platform, we still depend on the criminals to take our orders and link us to the LPs -- therefore, we are dependent on the existing API's for that. We could, eg. take the FIX protocol (http://www.fixprotocol.org/) and build a class library on top of FIX, to facilitate in the creation of EAs. The development of a full fledged trading platform is a massive undertaking, IMHO.

Return to “Automated trading systems”