RoundNumberTrap

garyfritz

Re: RoundNumberTrap

Post by garyfritz »

Alpenkorps wrote:Look for the spikes on the curve Gary, it doesn't look that bad over a long period, but enough to shake your balls when it actually happens.
It's hard to tell from the teensy chart, but it looks like the worst spikes are about $1000. Even with a starting capital of $5000, I'd consider that fairly minor, considering how long the spikes last. (But I have a higher risk tolerance than some.)

The BIG question is if/how/when the Martingale blows up. At some point I'll see if I can whip out a Tradestation system so I can backtest it thoroughly.
r2997790
Trader

Post by r2997790 »

Can I just chime in to say -- as I always seem to on Martingale threads -- to say it might be worth considering a $ rather than pip TakeProfit target as it'll get hit sooner (as market distance to travel is lower) and therefore may reduce DD issues.

Just a thought.
magft
Trader

Post by magft »

garyfritz wrote:
Alpenkorps wrote:Look for the spikes on the curve Gary, it doesn't look that bad over a long period, but enough to shake your balls when it actually happens.
It's hard to tell from the teensy chart, but it looks like the worst spikes are about $1000. Even with a starting capital of $5000, I'd consider that fairly minor, considering how long the spikes last. (But I have a higher risk tolerance than some.)

The BIG question is if/how/when the Martingale blows up. At some point I'll see if I can whip out a Tradestation system so I can backtest it thoroughly.
I ran January on 99% tick data and i had to increase max lot size to 0.64 so level 7 which is pretty high unless you have a large balance. Still, interesting to note that apart from a couple of blips the system makes money most of the time. May be safer to run on multiple pairs with lower max lot size and take the lower hit which should hopefully be spread over more wins.

Another promising system, i'm enjoying this :mrgreen:

Update in post #1.

Regards

Mike
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

Ya. And that happened in just a month.

For various reasons I'm pretty much stuck on 0.1-lot crims. So anything that builds up to 64x the original size is out for me. With 50:1 leverage you'd need over $12k to handle 6.4 lots. That's more than I'm willing to commit to something that could blow it all up if it went to level 8 or 9.

What happens to the results if you bail after level 2 or 3 or 4?
newbee

Post by newbee »

Because this is some kind of grid trading, I would never use martingale.
Fmfx
Trader

Post by Fmfx »

I did a quick backtest on au from october 2011 to present, everything was going on fine untill janaury this year when it crashed. Started with a 10,000 capital.

I love grid trading because it's looks like the only way that has worked for me, thou i dont increase my lot @ every x pips.

I wount give up on this yet, still lookind for ways to better this system.

Regards
N☺̴̩̩̥̩̩̩ Ri$k. N☺̴̩̩̥̩̩̩ я̩̥̊Ƹwªrd
viracoccha
Trader

Post by viracoccha »

Hi ... I have new in this forum and my language may not good but .... firstly, I like martingale and grid trading, I like it. This EA is one of safest and low risk grid trading system. I have test that EA about two days in my 50 USD demo account. At the moment it is profitable, 10 wins, 6 lost and total profit 14 USD. But at the moment I had error (at least I think so because .....) EURUSD price was at the moment 1.31600 BUT that system made pending order 1.32100!!!! It should`t been there. But yes ... mostly it work at the moment.
gaheitman
Trader

Post by gaheitman »

viracoccha wrote:Hi ... I have new in this forum and my language may not good but .... firstly, I like martingale and grid trading, I like it. This EA is one of safest and low risk grid trading system. I have test that EA about two days in my 50 USD demo account. At the moment it is profitable, 10 wins, 6 lost and total profit 14 USD. But at the moment I had error (at least I think so because .....) EURUSD price was at the moment 1.31600 BUT that system made pending order 1.32100!!!! It should`t been there. But yes ... mostly it work at the moment.
Had you just changed time frames? The ea may have grabbed the price before data was downloaded to the terminal.

Mike,

What do you think about changing this:

Code: Select all

double price = Close[0];
to

Code: Select all

double price = Bid;
in GetNextRoundNumbers()? You call RefreshRates() right beforehand, so Bid should be the last bid (which is equivalent to Close[0] if you have all your bars.)

George
viracoccha
Trader

Post by viracoccha »

nope .... I know that you cant change some EAs TF. I took out that "false" pending order, price moves below 1.31500 and it makes right orders again ....
viracoccha
Trader

Post by viracoccha »

gaheitman .... about that changing .... I think about that

Return to “Automated trading systems”