GUIDE - Free VPS on Amazon AWS

trendinator
Trader

Post by trendinator »

here's a little guide i wrote to setup a vps on Amazon AWS. its free for 12 months, plenty of time for a forward test of your EA's (or live trading too).

some caveats:

you need an amazon account.
you need to register a valid credit card and possibly authenticate it.
the service is FREE for select products for 12 months only. if you use other products you will be charged.

read all of the instructions carefully first before you start. also read the optimisation tips in post 2

there are a couple of small steps missing, just use your common sense and read what it says
How to get a Free VPS from Amazon for 12 months.pdf
enjoy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by trendinator on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
trendinator
Trader

Post by trendinator »

optimisation tips:

1. keep Empty4 minimised. it reduces CPU load (not sure why)
2. reduce the maximum number of bars in the chart and history. im using 1000.
3. check your CPU credit usage and CPU credit balance (go to the amazon dashboard - instances - monitoring). if the usage is high and the balance is going down, you are using too much CPU and it will start limiting the max CPU use. ideally the CPU balance will be steadily increasing, t2.micro get 6 CPU credits per hour.
4. dont load extra indicators and stuff that is not necessary. keep it minimal.

5. CPU credits will build up to a maximum of 144 when the system is idling. this takes 24 hours (6 credits per hour) 13/01/2015

6. I was able to reduce CPU idle by approx 1-2% using this optimisation script. it will probably throw an error, ignore it.
you must reboot after using this script, DO NOT REBOOT FROM WINDOWS! use the Amazon dashboard - go to instances, right click on the vps instance, instance state, reboot.

http://blogs.citrix.com/2014/02/06/wind ... ion-guide/
attached for easy download.
Windows8and2012VDIBaseline.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by trendinator on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dudest
Trader

Post by dudest »

Thank you :)! :hi:
trendinator
Trader

Post by trendinator »

holy crap!
speedtest.JPG
xfactornos
Trader

Post by xfactornos »

so your running Empty4 on 1 gig ram and 1 core? It seems to do alright with those ummm crappy specs?
John 3:16
Maximilian
Trader

Post by Maximilian »

I got mine running since the beginning of october 24/7. I had no problems with the running server. There are times where I can run 2 terminals, with some lagging though. It´s slowing down, when you have got a lot of price action and a lot of open trades to manage, and even some terminal shut downs are needed.
But it´s okay for testing purposes I guess. But my results seemed always a bit different from others, most of the time not as good, although my demos are on global prime and I used the same settings. It might be a lagging issue. So I am glad, that we can now compare results and retune our settings.
Max

Edit: Reducin the history to 1000 bars is a reall good advice. Almost no lagging anymore. :arrrg: Could have thought about it by myself
trendinator
Trader

Post by trendinator »

Maximilian » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:15 pm wrote:I got mine running since the beginning of october 24/7. I had no problems with the running server. There are times where I can run 2 terminals, with some lagging though. It´s slowing down, when you have got a lot of price action and a lot of open trades to manage, and even some terminal shut downs are needed.
But it´s okay for testing purposes I guess. But my results seemed always a bit different from others, most of the time not as good, although my demos are on global prime and I used the same settings. It might be a lagging issue. So I am glad, that we can now compare results and retune our settings.
Max

Edit: Reducin the history to 1000 bars is a reall good advice. Almost no lagging anymore. :arrrg: Could have thought about it by myself
good to know! you probably could go lower too, depending on how far back your EA looks.
Maximilian
Trader

Post by Maximilian »

Then again, it´s freezing to death during major news announcement like :roll: ....ahem now
trendinator
Trader

Post by trendinator »

Maximilian » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:53 pm wrote:Then again, it´s freezing to death during major news announcement like :roll: ....ahem now
yep! look im making lots of money! oh wait, im loosing lots of money!! no wait, making money again, all right! thats NFP for you.

Return to “Automated trading systems”