Fractal Jitter

CanuckCT

Fractal Jitter

Post by CanuckCT »

This is my first post on this wonderful forum and it's to request some help for an EA to trade a support and resistance strategy that uses fractals, slightly modified from the Bill Williams calculation. Every strategy needs a name and when I described this to a fellow trader, he said....oh, you want the trade the "jitter" around the highs and the lows.....so there you have it....the strategy is called Fractal Jitter.

Bill Williams Fractal Indicator
Must have 2 lower or higher candles before and after the fractal candle

Modified Fractal Settings
3 candles before and 5 candles after to create a fractal candle (with the option to modify the number of candles before and after)

This reduces the number of fractals that appear on a chart....it's 5 candles later before you confirm that a modified fractal candle exists.

The Pending Order
When a fractal candle is created, a pending order is created 2 pips (configurable) below the high or above the low of the modified fractal candle.

Take Profit Targets
Timeframes used are daily, weekly and monthly modified fractals.

- If the fractal is on daily, the TP is 20 pips.
- If the fractal is on weekly, the TP is 40 pips - overrides the daily TP when a daily fractal turns into a weekly
- If the fractal is monthly, the TP is 60 pips - overrides the weekly TP when a weekly turns into a monthly

Rollover Trades
Sometimes price does not hit the TP on the trade.....and there needs to be a method to create a rollover trade and that strategy is this: When a trade does not go in your favour, the rollover trade is created on the next fractal entry.....the TP on a rollover trade is 20 pips and the lot size on that trade is set to take the trade to BE in 20 pips, after considering whatever swap and fees exist on the trade and it calculates the trade size accordingly.

Once a fractal level is used, it is done and it cannot set a pending order at that location again.

Indicator
I think there is a need for an indicator to get this started.....and the indicator would be placed on a chart to mark where the pending orders would be and to work out the logic for how to create the pending orders.....then that strategy could be built into the EA. The indicator would allow for eye-balling the chart to see where the pending orders would be created...and allow for the strategy to be traded manually.

I cannot code worth a lick, and can only describe the strategy....and I see some of the dashboards creates here I am in awe. A dashboard that shows number of pips to next daily, weekly and monthly modified fractal would also be awesome.

If I am out of line to request help on something like this.....pretty sure Steve will tell me. :-)

I have a couple of video I can share that review all of this....if there is any interest to help.

Cheers
CanuckCT

Fractal Jitter

Post by CanuckCT »

Here is an example of the remaining pending orders on the daily....with all of other fractal candles having been hit for TP.

[img]
2018-07-30_2250.png
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanuckCT

Indicator for modifying the fractal

Post by CanuckCT »

Can modify number of candles on this indicator
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Fractal Jitter

Post by SteveHopwood »

CanuckCT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:36 am wrote:
If I am out of line to request help on something like this.....pretty sure Steve will tell me. :-)
Yes, and he is about to tell you why.

Your post offers absolutely nothing to encourage a coder to get involved.

You have been around here for a while. Do you really not get that us coders have moved on from the hit-and-hope days of 2011? Do you really think that we will code EA's on the whim of somebody with a (usually) daft idea? For free?

Not been taking notice of what has been going on here, have you?

I see from your records that you were one of the original SHF members a long time ago. This saves you temporarily because the records do not show me how often you have visited SHF in between joining and now. A long gap would have doomed you.

So you gain a temporary reprieve from my wrath. In future, you think that you have a trading system that is worth automating? Prove it with manual trading results. The rest of us do not care about theories or speculation.

It is what the rest of the SHF community have to do. Flout this rule again and guess what happens.

SHF is not here to do your thinking for you. We have moved on from 2011.

:xm: :rocket:
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
zafh
Trader

Fractal Jitter

Post by zafh »

CanuckCT » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:36 am wrote:This is my first post on this wonderful forum and it's to request some help for an EA to trade a support and resistance strategy that uses fractals, slightly modified from the Bill Williams calculation. Every strategy needs a name and when I described this to a fellow trader, he said....oh, you want the trade the "jitter" around the highs and the lows.....so there you have it....the strategy is called Fractal Jitter.

Bill Williams Fractal Indicator
Must have 2 lower or higher candles before and after the fractal candle

Modified Fractal Settings
3 candles before and 5 candles after to create a fractal candle (with the option to modify the number of candles before and after)

This reduces the number of fractals that appear on a chart....it's 5 candles later before you confirm that a modified fractal candle exists.

The Pending Order
When a fractal candle is created, a pending order is created 2 pips (configurable) below the high or above the low of the modified fractal candle.

Take Profit Targets
Timeframes used are daily, weekly and monthly modified fractals.

- If the fractal is on daily, the TP is 20 pips.
- If the fractal is on weekly, the TP is 40 pips - overrides the daily TP when a daily fractal turns into a weekly
- If the fractal is monthly, the TP is 60 pips - overrides the weekly TP when a weekly turns into a monthly

Rollover Trades
Sometimes price does not hit the TP on the trade.....and there needs to be a method to create a rollover trade and that strategy is this: When a trade does not go in your favour, the rollover trade is created on the next fractal entry.....the TP on a rollover trade is 20 pips and the lot size on that trade is set to take the trade to BE in 20 pips, after considering whatever swap and fees exist on the trade and it calculates the trade size accordingly.

Once a fractal level is used, it is done and it cannot set a pending order at that location again.

Indicator
I think there is a need for an indicator to get this started.....and the indicator would be placed on a chart to mark where the pending orders would be and to work out the logic for how to create the pending orders.....then that strategy could be built into the EA. The indicator would allow for eye-balling the chart to see where the pending orders would be created...and allow for the strategy to be traded manually.

I cannot code worth a lick, and can only describe the strategy....and I see some of the dashboards creates here I am in awe. A dashboard that shows number of pips to next daily, weekly and monthly modified fractal would also be awesome.

I have a couple of video I can share that review all of this....if there is any interest to help.

Cheers

Are you trading the breakout or bounce of the fractals?
CanuckCT

Fractal Jitter

Post by CanuckCT »

Trading the bounce.

Steve....thanks for your comments.

I am willing to hire someone to assist with this.....what is the best process to find someone on your site to assist with this......

Thanks
Radar
Trader

Fractal Jitter

Post by Radar »

Hey CanuckCT
CanuckCT » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:55 pm wrote:Trading the bounce.

Steve....thanks for your comments.

I am willing to hire someone to assist with this.....what is the best process to find someone on your site to assist with this......

Thanks
The best way to get people interested in working on an EA is - as Steve wrote in his post - to trade it manually, and show the steps, the setups, and the results. Not just a one-off buy setup, and a one-off sell setup, but regular trades, over a period of at least a couple of months.

If the system works, and the good trades earn enough to pay for the bad ones, then an EA will pay for itself.

Have fun!
Radar =8^)
Check out my new, (well, old now), manual trade & automatic scale-in manager,
StackManV2

Return to “Automated trading systems”