Trendy Gary

SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Trendy Gary

Post by SteveHopwood »

SERIOUS WARNING
  • Most Forex traders lose all their money.
  • Using the robot posted here in trading Forex does not guarantee success.
  • Trading this robot could lead to serious financial loss.
  • Trading this robot without understanding its underlying trading strategies guarantees traders will lose their money.
  • This is not a set-and-forget ea; there is no such thing and anyone who tries to claim there is, is either stupid or lying. This ea requires frequent manual intervention.
  • At best, a trading robot is only 90% as good as the manual strategy it trades. At best. At worst, it can be much less effective. If the strategy is rubbish, so is the robot.
  • To trade this robot, you have to understand:
    • How to use EA's.
I am not yet trading this EA on my live account

The genesis for this ea is at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=12&t=898. Plese take a moment to read Gary's post.

TG works thus:
  • At the open of each new candle:
    • If UseDailyPivot is false:
      • Look to see if SuperTrend has flipped. If so:
        • Close an existing open opposite direction trade.
        • Open a new trade in the direction of the flip.
    • If UseDailyPivot is true:
      • Look to see if SuperTrend has flipped. If so:
        • Close an existing open opposite direction trade.
      • Look for a trade in the direction indicated by SuperTrend:
        • For a buy, the low of the previous candle must have at least touched the DP. The Bid must be above the DP.
        • For a sell, the High of the previous candle must have at least touched the DP. The Bid must be below the DP
    All the rest of the other usual suspects are there. Go to http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... ?f=15&t=79 and download the Shell user guide if there is anything in the usual inputs that you do not understand.

The EA is independent of the chart on which you run it:
    • TradingStTimeFrame is your trading time frame and needs to be set to M60. A zero value here means the current time frame.
    • HtfStTimeFrame allows you to call for confirmation from a higher time frame if you wish to. A zero value here turns this filter off. It is disabled by default.
    Coders, you will see the code for weekly and monthly pivots. I have left them in in case people want to use them, but the implementation code is commented out and would need a little ammendment.

TG only reads SuperTrend at the open of each new candle. The values it displays will look out of date quite quickly.

Have fun.

:D

Matters of general interest
    Go here to download and run the script that will fill your platform's missing chart history: http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=15&t=254
    Read this post:
    http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... p?f=6&t=78 Newbie traders, read this for inspiration and warning. Those of you who have suffered losses, read it for inspiration.

Masterly summary of hedging: http://www.forexfactory.com/showthread. ... ost4977179

EA coding
    I receive may requests to code EA's. Traders, if I code your EA for free, then I will share it here. If you want me to code your EA without sharing, then my fee is $100 payable into my paypal account. I explain why at http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... ?f=15&t=79, at the bottom of the post.

Useful utilities/EA's/scripts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read the effing manual, ok?

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

I still suffer from OCCD. Good thing, really.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

To see The Weekly Roundup of stuff you guys might have missed Click here

My special thanks to Thomas (tomele) for all the incredible work he does here.
cuzgeorge
Trader

Re: Trendy Gary

Post by cuzgeorge »

Hi all,
all set up, 1Hr only chart , only on EURUSD and 24hr trading. Daily Pivot set to true.
No confirmation from higher TF either.
regards
cuz
10.X, BMac,Xmeter,Marylin,and CaptsNakedTrading thread coupled with Slowkeys Intraday setup for manual trades.
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=36&t=848
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

Thanks, Steve! I will be fascinated to see how this works. I really didn't expect a simple SuperTrend strategy to work, but it did seem to.

George, FWIW I tested it on H4. I suspect running it on only one symbol, you will see some nasty drawdowns. I think you need many pairs to smooth out the results. When I get a chance, I'll post the individual-pair results of my hand backtest.
cuzgeorge
Trader

Post by cuzgeorge »

garyfritz wrote:Thanks, Steve! I will be fascinated to see how this works. I really didn't expect a simple SuperTrend strategy to work, but it did seem to.

George, FWIW I tested it on H4. I suspect running it on only one symbol, you will see some nasty drawdowns. I think you need many pairs to smooth out the results. When I get a chance, I'll post the individual-pair results of my hand backtest.
I hear you Gary,
i'll wait for your results before changing this demo. I've always been fascinated by my first 'killer' indi, the old SilverTrend indi, was my first intro to forex so i've secretly always wanted to see one of these trend EA's succeed. It looked so good on static charts, but the truth is it's much more complicated than that. Those whiipsaws are killer and repainting is unavoidable.

Thank you Gary and Steve,
i'll try my best on this EA.
10.X, BMac,Xmeter,Marylin,and CaptsNakedTrading thread coupled with Slowkeys Intraday setup for manual trades.
http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3 ... f=36&t=848
intcust
Trader

Post by intcust »

I don't know about your super trend indicator but the one I have repiants. I did one e a and was a multi millionaire on test data only to have the repiant kill me on live data. I hope it works.

Thanks,

Tom
Selim
Trader

Post by Selim »

Thanks Steve for your new EA which depend mainly on Supertrend
Forex trading is very difficult work not a game so you must know all tools for this work that meet with your need
garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

cuzgeorge wrote:i'll wait for your results before changing this demo.
Here are the results for each of the EUR pairs for my hand-backtest. You can see EURUSD did pretty badly and ended up negative at the end of the test.
ST1.gif
By comparison, here's the result of trading all 6 EUR pairs together. The basket still had the wicked drawdown in July-August (due to EURUSD, EURJPY, EURCAD, and a bit from EURAUD), but overall the results are a lot smoother.
ST2.gif
The real questions are 1) did I fool myself, e.g. does the indicator repaint or something like that? (which your tests can confirm), and 2) how does it hold up over the long term? (which we might be able to backtest in Empty4, or I might have to write a system in TS)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SteveHopwood
Owner
Location: Misterton - an insignificant village in England. Very pleasant to live in.

Post by SteveHopwood »

garyfritz wrote:Thanks, Steve! I will be fascinated to see how this works. I really didn't expect a simple SuperTrend strategy to work, but it did seem to.

Gary, SuperTrend will turn out to be as much total crapshit as every other one of the bullshit custom indi's that begin with "Nonlag" or "Super" or "Mega" or whatever. Give me a custom indi that starts with, 'NowIhadThisSortOfIdea' and I might take it seriously for 5 minutes. Ok, 2 minutes. Ok, 30 seconds. That is 30 seconds more than I spend on custom indi's that begin with "Nonlag" or "Super" or "Mega" or whatever.

Eventually, everyone else will cotton on to what I already know, and it is this:
  • These fucking abortions merely consist of calls to the standard indis that ship with the rest of Empty4.
Guys, the coders of these custom indis, i.e. Abortions are not creating anything new. Their Abortions merely reproduce the info that can be gleaned more usefully from the standard indis we all use every day, in way that appears different.

It isn't different. Trust me. It really isn't. I code for the damn things every day of my life. They are fucking useless.

Hmmmmmm. Not in a particularly good mood tonight. Guess what? I spent the day battling Custom Abortions. I wonder why I am not my usual shining ray of light.

Afterprime is the official SHF broker. Read about them at https://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=175790#p175790.

Anyone here feeling generous? My paypal account is always in the market for a tiny donation. [email protected] is the account.

garyfritz

Post by garyfritz »

Yup, it's entirely possible this is a repainter or similar will-o-the-wisp. I just wasn't quite sure how to know, short of hand-testing it in realtime. But you volunteered the EA, soo... :D

Have a bath and a tumbler of something amber, and you'll feel much better.
SteveHopwood
Owner

Post by SteveHopwood »

garyfritz wrote:Yup, it's entirely possible this is a repainter or similar will-o-the-wisp. I just wasn't quite sure how to know, short of hand-testing it in realtime. But you volunteered the EA, soo... :D

Have a bath and a tumbler of something amber, and you'll feel much better.
:lol: Got a tumbler. Just in s bad mood about Abortions, having spent much of my recent life battling with them. Ignore me. Most people do, quite productively.

Mind, I sm now going to coin a new forum epithet. We already have Criminals and the whole range of Crap....... From here on in, custom indis will be known as Abortions until said Abortion has actually proven it has some value. :lol:

:D

Return to “Automated trading systems”